So I was in a discussion if Mortarion is overpowered and underpriced and if it is able to beat him without another lord of war. This discussion came eventually to the inevitable conclusion that I have to prove that it is able to beat a Morty list as I have defended the point that it is possible.
We played a 1500 points mission with tactical objectives. My list was Alpha Legion and focused on my Havocs with Lascannons. I put in a bunch of Cultists and CSM Troops so I was able fill two battalion detachments.
My full list was:
- 4 x 10 man troops Cultists
- 1 x 9 man troop CSM with Bolters and Plasma in a Rhino
- 1 x 10 man troop CSM with Chainswords, Flamers and a Power Fist
- 1 x Heldrake
- 1 x Daemon Prince with Wings and Warp Time
- 1 x Chaos Lord with a Power Sword
- 1 x 5 Havocs with Lascannons and Mark of Slaanesh
- 1 x Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armour with Death Hex and Warp Time
- 1 x Chaos Sorcerer with Prescions and Warp time
- 1 x 3 Chaos Bikers with Chainswords and Flamers
The Idea was to kill Morty first round with Havoc who get Precions from the Sorcerer so they hit on a 2+ and two attacks each as I can use a strategem with their mark of Slaanesh. The Sorcerer in Terminator armour would deepstrike and take Morty’s invulnerability save away with death hex. My troop choices + Bikes would secure the objectives and the Daemon Prince /Heldrake combo would wreak Havoc on the battlefield. Well at least this was the plan… and it failed terribly!
It started with the List my opponent brought.
- 1 x Mortarion
- 1 x Daemon Prince of Nurgle with an artefact armour that gives him a +2 Armour save
- 1 x Contemptor Dreadnough with terrible plasma weapons in a Dreadclaw
- 2 x Plague Drones with Plague Spitters
- 1 x Plagueburst Crawler
My troop choices and my Bikers were totally useless against this units. My Marines wounded on a 5+ and my Cultists on a 6+. This left me with my Havocs as my only real weapon on the field. In addition he got first turn. I managed to kill his Dreadclaw (with which he stole line of sight from my Havocs to Morty) and to inflict 8 Wounds on Morty. I also Killed one Plague Drone. My Sorcerer was not able to get Death Hex off (seriously how stupid can someone be to rely on a 8+ psychic test) and the invulnerability save of Morty did the rest. He slaughtered me so heavy that I had to give up in round three.
My conclusion is that you have to bring more heavy weapons that just a troop of Havocs if you face Morty and that it is better to have a more balanced List than to try to get as many command points as possible. Ah yeah and to base your strategy on a 8+ psychic power is bollocks too.
I have to give credit to my opponent who build an excellent List and played every turn masterfully without making any mistakes and giving me a great time even if I lost.
Below you find a few pictures from the battle